SUBJECT: RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR PATROL RIDE-ALONG PROGRAM
- The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department offers interested citizens and students the opportunity to directly observe law enforcement activities through participation in a station ridealong program. To participate in the program, applicants must meet program eligibility criteria and agree to all conditions listed in this memo.
- 1. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the signed consent of a parent or guardian, witnessed by an authorized station supervisor.
2. Applicants must complete all required forms and provide all required information before riding along.
3. Applicants with significant criminal history or pending criminal cases might not be eligible to ride along.
4. Applicants must wear a formal, or smart casual attire.
- Citizens and students interested may visit any of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department stations, requesting to speak to a Watch Commander. In the event of one not being present at the time, a request via the non-emergency hotline may be attempted. The citizen will then be assessed for suitability and requested to sign a waiver, provided they meet all requirements listed in the program eligibility criteria. Requests are valid for the duration of one watch, and expire at the end of it. This does not apply to Deputy Sheriff Recruits.
The Watch Commander will then ensure that the person in question is at least 16 years of age (or has the signed consent of a parent or guardian, witnessed by an authorized station supervisor), has no significant criminal history or pending criminal cases, and is a citizen of the United States of America (or permanent resident alien). Ride-Along requests may be subject to additional restrictions, denied or terminated at any point in time if deemed necessary.