Rules and Guidelines for Patrol Car Ride-Along Requests

Section to request ride-alongs with sworn Deputy Sheriffs.

Moderators: LSSD Executive Staff, LSSD Command Staff

LSSD
"A tradition of Service"
"A tradition of Service"

Rules and Guidelines for Patrol Car Ride-Along Requests

Post by LSSD »

RESOURCES

RIDE ALONG REQUESTS

SUBJECT: RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR PATROL RIDE-ALONG PROGRAM

• The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department offers interested citizens and students the opportunity to directly observe law enforcement activities through participation in a station ridealong program. To participate in the program, applicants must meet program eligibility criteria and agree to all conditions listed in this memo.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
  • 1. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the signed consent of a parent or guardian, witnessed by an authorized station supervisor.
    2. Applicants must complete all required forms and provide all required information before riding along.
    3. Applicants with significant criminal history or pending criminal cases might not be eligible to ride along.
    4. Applicants must wear a formal, or smart casual attire.

PROCEDURE
  • Citizens and students interested may visit any of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department stations, requesting to speak to a Watch Commander. In the event of one not being present at the time, a request via the non-emergency hotline may be attempted. The citizen will then be assessed for suitability and requested to sign a waiver, provided they meet all requirements listed in the program eligibility criteria. Requests are valid for the duration of one watch, and expire at the end of it. This does not apply to Deputy Sheriff Recruits.

The Watch Commander will then ensure that the person in question is at least 16 years of age (or has the signed consent of a parent or guardian, witnessed by an authorized station supervisor), has no significant criminal history or pending criminal cases, and is a citizen of the United States of America (or permanent resident alien). Ride-Along requests may be subject to additional restrictions, denied or terminated at any point in time if deemed necessary.

PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS: show
PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS
    1. Before the ride-along session, the applicant Observer must submit the following forms, properly completed, signed and witnessed, as appropriate:
      • • Rules and Guidelines for Patrol Ride-Along Program
        • Agreement Assuming Risk of Injury or Damage, Waiver and Release of Claims and Indemnity Agreement
        • Application Request for Patrol Car Ride-Along
    2. If the Observer is unable to attend the scheduled ride-along, he/she must notify the Station Watch Deputy as soon as possible.
    3. Observers must wear appropriate, safe, and conservative attire for the ride-along session (dress or dress-casual shoes, pants, shirts, blouses, and jackets). Not permitted are: denim jeans; t-shirts; shorts; dresses and skirts; clothing that does not cover appropriate areas of the body; clothing that contains graphics, pictures or slogans; hats; high-heeled or open-toed shoes; and sandals. The appropriateness of attire is up to the discretion of the on-duty Watch Commander.
    4. Observers must wear and prominently display an "observer badge". The badge will be issued when the observer reports for the ride-along session. Observers must bring photo identification (such as a driver's license), which will be exchanged for the Observer ID badge at the beginning of the ride-along session. Upon completion of the ride-along session, the observer's identification will be returned.
    5. Observers are under the supervision of the on-duty Watch Commander and individual Deputy he/she is assigned. The ride along session can be terminated at any time at the discretion of the Watch Commander.
    6. Observers shall not leave the radio car while at the scene of any police activity without permissiony.
    7. Observers shall not converse with detainees, suspects, prisoners, witnesses, victims, and/or other parties contacted during the course of the ride-along unless directed or requested to do so by the supervising deputy.
    8. Observers shall not interfere with the deputy's activities at any time. Questions regarding procedures and activities are highly encouraged; however; please wait until an appropriate time to ask these questions.

I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND, AND AGREE TO ADHERE TO THE FOREGOING INSTRUCTIONS AS OUTLINED ON BOTH PAGES OF THIS FORM

OBSERVER'S NAME OBSERVER'S SIGNATURE OBSERVER'S DATE
FULL NAME GOES HERE SIGNATURE GOES HERE DATE GOES HERE

WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT: show
AGREEMENT ASSUMING RISK OF INJURY OR DAMAGE, WAIVER
AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT

WHEREAS I, YOUR NAME GOES HERE, (being/not being) over the age of eighteen and not being a member of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department, have made a voluntary request to ride as a guest in a vehicle assigned to the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department and to accompany a member or members of the Sheriff's Department during the performance of their official duties, and

WHEREAS, the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department is willing to allow me to ride as a guest in a vehicle assigned to that department and to accompany a member or members of the department during the performance of their duties on the following conditions.

NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the permission given to me to ride in a vehicle assigned to the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department and to accompany a member or members of said department during the performance of their official duties, I do hereby agree.

1. That I am aware that the work of the Sheriff's Department is inherently dangerous and that I may be subjected to the risk of death or personal injury or damage to my property by accompanying a member or members of the Sheriff's Department during the performance of their official duties and that I freely, voluntarily and with such knowledge assume the risk of death, personal injury, or property damage arising from or in any way connected with the use of weapons; unlawful acts or forcible resistance by law violators or suspected law violators, assault, riot, breach of the peace, fire, explosion, gas, electrocution or the escape of radioactive substances while accompanying a member or members of the Sheriff's Department during the performance of their official duties.

2. That the County of Los Santos, Kenneth Larosa, Sheriff of the County of Los Santos, his sureties, all members of the Sheriff's Department of Los Santos County their sureties, and each of them, shall not be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss or expense, either to me or my property, incurred while riding in any vehicle assigned to the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department or while accompanying any member or members of said department during the performance of their official duties and resulting from any negligent act or omission on the part of any member of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department.

3. For myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns to defend and indemnify the County of Los Santos, Kenneth Larosa, Sheriff of Los Santos County, all members of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department, their sureties and each of them, against any and all manner of actions, causes of actions, suits, debts, claims, demands, or damages or liability or expense of every kind and nature incurred or arising by reason of any actual or claimed negligent or wrongful act or omission of mine while riding in any vehicle assigned to the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department or while accompanying any member or members of said Sheriff's Department during the performance of their official duties.

I hereby represent that I have carefully read and understand the contents of this document and sign the same of my own free will.

DATE
SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT
SIGNATURE OF PARENT OR GUARDIAN (if Applicant is a minor)
MM/DDD/YYYY
SIGNATURE
SIGNATURE