Frequently Asked Questions

You can find sworn and civilian positions information within this section. Here you will also find information about our reinstatement and lateral transfer process.

___Deputy Sheriff Trainee;
___Deputy Sheriff-Lateral;
___Reinstatements;

Moderators: LSSD Executive Staff, LSSD Command Staff, ASD: TB Bureau Commander, ASD: TB Command

Forum rules
RECRUITMENT: OPEN
TRANSFERS: OPEN
REINSTATEMENTS: OPEN
Training Bureau
"Justice Through Knowledge"
Duty Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P9 (9mm)

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Training Bureau »

HOME / CAREERS MAIN / CAREERS FAQ

FAQ

ARE YOU CURRENTLY TESTING AND HIRING?

Yes, we are currently testing and hiring. Visit our Career Opportunities page for a list of open positions.

• NOTE: This thread serves as a library for commonly and frequently asked questions regarding the hiring process of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department. Before posting on this page, ensure that you have gone through the list, have read all available material, and verified that the same question was not asked previously.

Purposefully denoting to be a nuisance through misuse of this thread or any other public communication medium may result in a ban from the hiring process. This thread is out of character.

All the information provided may be subject to change without notice. Only deputies which are part of the Training Bureau are able to answer questions in this thread.

Is there a dress code for the written examinations?
    • No, there is not a specific dress code for written examinations.

Do I get paid while I am in the Sheriff's Academy?
    • Yes, as a recruit you will receive a minimum salary for the duration of your Academy Training.

Are you currently testing and hiring?
    • For a list of all open positions, visit the Career Opportunites page.

After applying, you will be scheduled for a written examination.

How do I apply for any of the listed job opening(s)?
    • Please visit the LSSD Law Enforcement Job Family Opportunities page. If you scroll down towards the bottom, you will see all the job bulletins for the currently available positions.

1. Click on the interesting position, you will be directed to the job bulletin (job description).
      2. If you are interested and meet the selection requirements for the position(s) desired, you may submit an online application by clicking on the button "APPLY NOW" (( All applications should be posted inside their respective forums (eg. Deputy Sheriff Trainee). The title should be in the 'Firstname Lastname' format. ))
      3. Complete the employment application.
      4. Once the application process is complete, you will be scheduled for the written examination within 2-3 weeks. (( You will receive access to the approved candidates forum where you will be able to request your written examination and schedule a structured interview. ))

What positions are part of the Law Enforcement Job Family (LEJF)?
    • 1. Deputy Sheriff — Lateral (DS-Lateral)

2. Deputy Sheriff Trainee (DST)

What are the selection requirements for Deputy Sheriff Trainee (DST)?
    • 1. 19 ½ years of age at the time of filing and 20 years of age at the time of hire.
      2. U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
      3. Graduation from a U.S. high school or evidence of equivalent U.S. high school proficiency or higher.
      4. Valid San Andreas driver's license or higher at the time of filing. Out-of-State applicants must have a valid driver's license from the state in which they reside at the time of filing and will be required to obtain a San Andreas driver's license, prior to hire.
      5. Applicants cannot have any felony convictions nor be on probation; misdemeanors may be disqualifying, depending on the number, type of violation, and date of the violation.
      6. Good general physical condition.

What are the selection requirements for Deputy Sheriff — Lateral (DS-Lateral)?
    • 1. Currently employed as a full-time peace officer in a San Andreas Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) certified law enforcement agency with two years of continuous paid peace officer experience at the time of filing application.
      2. U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
      3. Graduation from a U.S. high school or evidence of equivalent U.S. high school proficiency or higher.
      4. Valid Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced P.O.S.T. certificate(s) from the San Andreas State Commission on P.O.S.T or a Certificate of Completion from a San Andreas P.O.S.T-Certified Basic Training Academy at the time of filing.
      5. Valid San Andreas driver's license at the time of filing.
      6. Applicants cannot have any felony convictions or be on probation; misdemeanors may be disqualifying, depending on the number, type of violation, and date of the violation.
      7. Good general physical condition.

What does the LEJF written test consist of and what should I study?
    • The written test consists of two sections with the purpose of evaluating the following skills:

1. Vocabulary

2. Spelling

3. Grammar

4. Writing Clarity

5. Deductive and Inductive Reasoning

6. Data Interpretation

Candidates interested in preparing themself for this test may find study materials/literature at the public library or local bookstores on entry-level law enforcement employment tests.

When will I be notified about my written test?
    • For LEJF positions, you will be notified via email immediately after passing the application.

When will I receive my results for the written test?
    • Written Exam results are typically emailed to applicants within 2-3 business days after the completion of the test unless instructed otherwise by the proctor. If you pass, you will be asked to schedule a P.O.S.T. mandated Structured Interview.

Whom do I contact if I did not receive my written test results?
    • Please contact the Sworn Backgrounds Section by e-mail at [email protected] or phone 1-800-A-DEPUTY

For how long are the LEJF written test scores valid?
    • Written test scores for LEJF positions are valid only for the duration of the recruitment drive for which one is applying.

If I take the written test and fail, may I reapply?
    • Applicants who fail the written test may reapply at least (1) month after the date of the written test.

May I be provided with my written test score?
    • The written test score will not be provided in any case for any LEJF position. The written test is a qualifying test; therefore, you will only be informed if you passed or failed the test.

Do you accept another agency’s written test score in lieu of the LEJF written test?
    • No, outside agency test scores are not accepted for the LEJF positions. Applicants must take the Los Santos County Sheriff’s Department’s written tests.

What is Dual Track Career Path (only applicable to DS-Lateral and DST applicants)?
    • The Dual Track allows sworn personnel to select, remain, and promote within their career path of choice: Custody, Patrol, or both. This program was developed by the Los Santos County Sheriff’s Department to enhance continuity, stability, and accountability in the Los Santos County correctional system and patrol-related functions.

May I apply for more than one position at the same time?
    • No, you are allowed to apply only for a single position at a time.

What is the Los Santos County Sheriff’s Department’s hiring process for Deputy Sheriff Trainee?
    • 1. Application
      2. Multiple Choice Exam
      3. Structured Interview
      4. Academy Training
      5. Post-Academy Examination

If I fail the P.O.S.T. mandated Structured Interview (SI), may I reapply?
    • You will be allowed one (1) opportunity to pass the SI. If you do not pass the SI, you must wait (1) month before you can reapply.
Training Bureau
Duty Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P9 (9mm)

(( Frequently Asked Questions — Out of Character ))

Post by Training Bureau »

• What can I actually see in this forum?
    • As a visitor or as a recruit, you are only able to see the publicly available information and nothing else. Furthermore, as a recruit, you will be able to see attendance lists and additional manuals.
      Implying or role-playing that you see information not authorized to your character (such as other people's applications) may result in punishment.

When will recruitment open?
    • We don't ever have a specific date, so this question has no specific answer. Recruitment is solely opened to fill vacancies, and drive openings will be announced adequately.

Do I need double faction permissions?
    • If you are a member of an official faction, invited or not, you are required to request double faction permissions here, as obliged by server-wide rules. Not doing so prior to applying will result in removal from the process.

Can I apply for another faction at the same time?
    • No. You will be removed from our recruitment and more than likely the other faction's recruitment as well for this.

What can I do if I have an administrative record?
    • Candidates who have received disciplinary action from server administration in the past two (2) months may be rejected, depending on severity.

How do I convert the dates and times I encounter into my time zone?
    • The easiest way to go on about this is to log in-game, check the time, and calculate time differences yourself.

How can I fill out the application?

Can I apply again after getting disqualified from the current recruitment drive?
    • Generally, you should not reapply under a different character. The only exception to this is usually made whenever your character is denied for a criminal record: in this case, you can reapply with a new character with a clean record.

Are there any activity requirements in the faction?
    • Yes, faction members are expected to generally have an average monthly activity of one hour. This means that managing to fit seven hours of playtime in a week, and doing it for an entire month, will keep you in the clear. If you have to go on absence, there are means to do this internally, and you may be excused from this requirement for a period of time.
Naomi Tazawa
Retired Lieutenant
Retired Lieutenant
Badge number: 30068

Questions and Answers

Post by Naomi Tazawa »

Please use this topic for any recruitment-related questions.
POLICE SERGEANT II LUANA BRATCHER
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

FORMERLY LIEUTENANT NAOMI TAZAWA
(Acting) Unit Commander, Training Bureau
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department — "A Tradition of Service"
Kenny Lancer
Badge number: 0

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Kenny Lancer »

(( Not sure if this is IC or not, but if the server is delayed and apps are open on 24th, what do we do if we don't have our in-game driver's license or a place to stay? What do we put in our apps?
Naomi Tazawa
Retired Lieutenant
Retired Lieutenant
Badge number: 30068

Post by Naomi Tazawa »

Kenny Lancer wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 17:19 (( Not sure if this is IC or not, but if the server is delayed and apps are open on 24th, what do we do if we don't have our in-game driver's license or a place to stay? What do we put in our apps?
This topic can be used for both In-Character and Out-of-Character questions. You are free to enter that your character owns a driver's license, however, you'll have to obtain it when the server opens. Other questions can be answered with "D.N.A" if an answer can't be provided yet.

Edit: All candidates must hold a driver's license upon reaching the Structured Interview phase. If not, they will be disqualified from the process.
POLICE SERGEANT II LUANA BRATCHER
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

FORMERLY LIEUTENANT NAOMI TAZAWA
(Acting) Unit Commander, Training Bureau
Kenny Lancer

Post by Kenny Lancer »

Since I need to have a driver's license for the SI, but the server is not open yet, is it possible to do the OOC portion first and then the IC one once it opens? Also I'm not sure what the server's time is
Connor Hackett
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Badge number: 30141
Duty Pistol: Glock 19 (9mm)

Post by Connor Hackett »

Kenny Lancer wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 14:22 Since I need to have a driver's license for the SI, but the server is not open yet, is it possible to do the OOC portion first and then the IC one once it opens? Also I'm not sure what the server's time is
Yes, you are allowed to do the OOC portion before the IC one. The server time-zone that we are currently using is GMT+1.
RETIRED CAPTAIN CONNOR HACKETT
Unit Commander, Training Bureau
Kenny Lancer

Post by Kenny Lancer »

Regarding the interview, do interviewers also contact you on discord when they call for you?
Andrew MacMillan
LSSD Command Staff
LSSD Command Staff
Badge number: 20073

Post by Andrew MacMillan »

Kenny Lancer wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 16:28 Regarding the interview, do interviewers also contact you on discord when they call for you?
Interviews are handled on the Legal Factions Teamspeak server.

CAPTAIN ANDREW MACMILLAN
SPECIAL ENFORCEMENT BUREAU
Chad Bobcat
Badge number: 1333

Post by Chad Bobcat »

Is the 250 word count limit a deciding factor in the exam?